Wednesday, December 15, 2004

HESITATIONS AND AN OMEN

Two days ago I wrote in my journal, “Truth is I’m not so interested in Africa, now.” Strangely, after all that passion, I have been feeling that. In part because of so many negative reports in the two books on Africa I read (and noticed I have stopped reading.) Mostly that. Also some creative work emerging again at home and work; finding something in my life here to be more interested in. So last nite at women‘s group, one woman said, “I have the Alchemist on tape!” Another friend and I responded at the same time: “Oh I’d like to hear that,” so the woman gave it to my friend and she would then give it to me. Suddenly I remembered I had already read it or started it, so I really didn’t want it that much, but my friend said, “Here, you listen to it first - I don’t have the time.” At that moment I wondered why it was being thrust on me, and I remember wondering if there was something in it “for me,” some message, perhaps. 

Well I had forgotten that the story is of the little boy who is moved to follow his “personal legend” (myth, as I get it) and his dream is to go to Africa. Well, really Egypt, but they refer to it first as “going to Africa.” And he gets waylaid at various points along the way, and thinks “well, really this little life here is very nice; I should settle for this, and forget about all those dreams....probably they are not realistic anyway.” But along the way he has all these encounters, learns to “read the desert,” “to look for omens to guide him,” to trust himself, etc etc. And at each step he thinks, “well maybe this is enough.....” or "oh the dream is just too hard to achieve..." But something keeps urging him onward. So.......How might this apply to me??...... My attempts to get my birthcertificate and passport have been a nightmare, due to some name changes in the past that I never made legal, so there are still steps to go, and the trip a little over a month away. It is good that I have the "omen" of this story to keep me moving.

No comments: