Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Lost but still not forgotten

Today I met with another family who lost home and livelihood in this landslide. Flora has four children and is pregnant; husband Fredy makes a living crafting necklaces for the tourists. Fortunately he had his materials and tools in a backpack with him in town when the deluge came, but Flora and the children escaped with nothing. So i went through my accumulation of cortes (fabric that forms a skirt) and we cut some up to fit the older girls, a big one for mom. Then for $15 or so I managed to get underwear, a big plastic bucket for doing wash, shampoo, 4 towels, and the painters I work with donated food. And yes...crayons and a coloring book for the kids.

And I have a list of 8 other families who have lost everything. So we will meet with them, one by one, to confirm immediate needs. The biggest need, of course, is a place to live, but I will have to trust to others for that one. I want to give them a change of clothing, a way to bathe and wash clothes, and hope.

No comments: